Our professional speech therapy team here at Lakeside provides one-on-one services to adults and pediatric patients. Patients are evaluated using tests specific to each person’s individual need. We believe that family participation enhances overall progress and in empowering our patients through education. When indicated, a treatment plan is established including family/patient goals. We accept most insurances, some may require private authorization. Private pay options are available as well. Please contact us with any questions at 231-873-3577.
Speech Therapy Services:
- One-on-one Evaluation and Speech Therapy sessions
- Home site visits if the patient is unable to leave their home
- Evaluation of swallow function under video fluoroscopy
- Patient and Family Education
- Flexible scheduling to accommodate busy families including early morning and late evening appointments
Common diagnoses treated:
Speech – Pediatric
- Childhood Apraxia of Speech
- Phonological Delay
Language – Pediatric
- Expressive Language Delay
- Receptive Language Delay
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
Speech and Language – Adult
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Swallowing Disorders (Dysphagia)
- Cognitive Rehab
- Voice Disorders
When to refer to speech therapy:
- Slurred speech or difficulty being understood
- Word finding difficulty or expressing basic needs
- Changes to memory or cognition including problem solving and overall safety
- Difficulty swallowing liquids or solids or recent unexplained weight loss
- Changes to vocal quality including a hoarse, harsh, breathy or raspy voice
- New onset of neurological diagnosis
- Parental concern about their child’s speech and language
- Child whose play or social interaction seems inappropriate
- Child who has difficulty understanding directions or what’s happening around them
- Child whose speech is difficult to understand or uses few words
- Child who is struggling in school
- Difficulty with eating or drinking in terms of chewing and swallowing
Video Fluoroscopic Evaluations – Video Swallow Studies
A video swallow study is a swallow exam completed under x-ray to differentiate normal versus abnormal swallow function. It is used to identify the presence or absence of aspiration, least restrictive diet and liquid levels, and compensatory strategies and techniques to increase safety with intake. Video swallow studies are completed with the goal of reducing aspiration risk
What can be identified?
- Silent Aspiration
- Swallow delay
Who may benefit from a video swallow study?
- Patients with a previous diagnosis of dysphagia with suspected change in condition or a progressive condition
- Patients with a medical diagnosis increasing risk of dysphagia including: neurological, pulmonary, GI, recent surgery
- Patients who complain of difficulty swallowing, food getting stuck, coughing or choking during meals
- Patients with frequent respiratory illness
- Patients with weakness or unexplained weight loss
Please contact us with any questions at 231-873-3577 or stop by at 601 E Main Street in Hart location or send us a message. We are looking forward to hear from you.
LAKESIDE COMPREHENSIVE REHABILITATION
601 E. Main St. Hart, MI 49420
Speech Therapy Staff
Speech-Language Pathologist CFY
Latest News From the Blog:
LSVT BIG Parkinson’s Treatment Program available at Lakeside Rehabilitation
Posted on March 28, 2017
We are excited to announce that we have 3 individuals certified in the LSVT BIG Program. LSVT BIG is...
Joshua R. - Everybody I interacted with was very warm, caring, polite, etc. I felt very welcome.
Nancy H. - All staff members are KNOWLEGABLE, kind, and upbeat. They all exceeded my expectations.
Meredith C. - Keep being Amazing!!
Deborah T. - I would recommend this facility & staff to everyone.
Joyce J. - Beth's knowledge and expertise is very much appreciated. I recommend her highly!